Wednesday 13 November 2013

Wonderful evening at Claridges in the company of HRH The Princess Royal

 

It's been a wonderful evening at Claridges in London in the company of HRH The Princess Royal, Prince Anne.
The occasion was the Carers Trust first anniversary dinner and I was invited by my good friend Hilary Devey CBE, of Dragon's Den fame on the BBC.
Hilary is a fellow 'Secret 'Millionaire' .
It was a very swish event, featuring a performance by the celebrated Michael Ball.
Sadly, Hilary was not well enough to attend.
It was lovely to meet and chat to The Princess Royal.
Those of you who know me well will appreciate that I love my donkeys.
With The Princess Royal's equestrian background, that was an obvious topic of conversation!
I was happy to put my hand in my pocket to support the Carers Trust, knowing how dear it is to Hilary's heart.
I chipped in £500 in sponsorship for a Kilimanjaro climb and bought two holidays in the auction - one for £4500 to Barbados and another to Tobago for £3200.
The auctioneer was the novelist and former politician Jeffrey Archer.
It's fair to say he was a very smooth operator and he worked the room brilliantly to raise as much cash as possible on the night for the Carers Trust.
Trying to keep a running total was difficult, but I think the evening raised more than £150,000 for the charity.
The lovely people at the Carers Trust sent me a splendid thank-you note with some smoked salmon and chocolates as an appreciation for my contribution to the night.
Here are some photos of the night -